High Performance Computing apprenticeship
APPLICATIONS NOW CLOSED
As an High Performance Computing (HPC) apprenticeship you will spend 2 years in various placements. Your role will be to support the High Performance Computing Systems, Networks and users to enable highly complex simulations in support of the programme.
What does a typical day look like?
During your training inHigh Performance Computing, you will gain an appreciation of various computing systems to enable you to develop you knowledge and skills and create a portfolio of work.
You will attend a variety of lectures and courses which will provide you with the knowledge and understanding of the tools and techniques that you will be using. This will help you understand the processes that you will be following throughout your career.
HPC Apprentices will work on a variety of systems and projects including:
• Linux operating system administration (installation and configuration)
• Linux shell scripting (e.g. Bash, Perl, Python)
• Computer hardware (building/repairing)
• File system management
• Computer security concepts (OS configuration, data management, firewalls, security patching)
• System monitoring and fault diagnosis
• Customer interaction and problem investigation
Some knowledge of the Linux Operating System and an interest in coding/ scripting (eg C++ or Python) would be an advantage but not essential.
A practical aptitude for engineering or technology .
Good communication skills
Excellent team working skills
Health and safety aware
Effective at following instructions
Ability to concentrate for long periods
GCSE in Maths and English at Grade 4 or above (or equivalent) .
GCSE in Science at Grade C or above
Qualifications achieved during your apprenticeship
• BTEC level 3 technical certificate
• Level 2 English, Maths & ICT (Functional Skills) - If required
• Employment Rights and Responsibilities (ERR)
• Process Safety Awareness Certificate
Duration of apprenticeship: 2 years
Starting salary: £10,500