The AWE plc Board is chaired by Sir John Manzoni. The Board is responsible for setting the strategy of the business and providing oversight of, and challenge to, the Chief Executive Officer and the Executive Committee, to whom it delegates the day-to-day running of AWE’s business and operations.
The Board’s responsibilities include:
- Assuring safety, security and environmental responsibilities are carried out in accordance with AWE’s nuclear site licence conditions, authorisation conditions and environmental permitting requirements;
- Proposing the AWE plc business strategy to the MOD as shareholder;
- Setting the culture and providing leadership direction;
- Providing assurance on the significant commitments AWE plc makes to the MOD customer;
- Providing oversight of management of delivery; and
- Setting and overseeing the control framework within AWE delegations.
The Board consists of the Chairperson, one MOD representative, six Non-Executive Directors, AWE’s Chief Executive Officer and AWE’s Chief Financial Officer.